9/20/07

T + 48 hours & counting

48 hours smoke free & counting...one minute at a time...
For seventeen years I have allowed dysfunction in my life.
I have used cigarettes & they have used me.
They have imprisoned my body & mind. They have taken away my freedom of choice.
Cigarettes over the years have become a false idol, a best friend, a reliable companion.
Can an object really be a best friend and companion?
They {cigs} have never let me down...they are always there for me, ready to burn, ready to emit thousands of chemicals into my body, eager to stimulate a pleasurable dopamine release in my brain. Cigarettes are biding their time until they take even more...
Well, not today. I really want to quit this time. I pray that I have the strength to follow through, to take back the power.
I'm tired feeling trapped by the need to smoke. Tired of worrying about smelling badly, do you have any gum? Scared to death, literally, of the possible ill health effects. You can't quit lung cancer, now can ya? Society is shunning smokers one city at a time...smoking bans are quite popular around here nowadays.
Motto for today: Better living through pharmaceuticals.
I started taking Chantix last Tuesday... and had my last cigarette 48 hours ago.
Chantix has helped make the cravings/irritability more tolerable.
In previous quit attempts, and there have been several, it was ultimately the irritability {I remember feeling as though I was coming out of my skin} that had me on the way to the
Quik Trip to purchase the next pack.

Brian is doing a fabulous job diverting my attention away from the difficult task at hand...he took me shopping, let me beat his butt in Scrabble, took me out to lunch, helped me get to the gym {two days in a row} and it's hard to smoke when your napping! :)

Any encouragement/suggestions/comments welcome....help me, help myself.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!!! I'm not in this alone!!!!'
Okay, I must admit, the first 2 days were the hardest. However, I never smoked in my home or car. The hardest times were when I needed to take the dogs out. Also, after I cleaned the kitchen after dinner. We would be sitting around and I would crave one. I no longer have the nicotine cravings. That went away at day 3, but I'm also wearing the patch. I take it off around 8 pm because my skin itches like a horrible mosquito. The habbit went away around the 4th day. As long as I stayed physically busy I was good to go.
Can you breathe easier? I noticed that on the 3rd day. I could really take in a deep breath without coughing.

Don't cheat, whatever you do.
Congrats!!!!

Alison said...

You can do it Michelle! I am so proud of you! If you are smoke-free at the end of October, I'm taking you to Recollections and buying you some fun stuff. My treat to you for something that I can imagine is very difficult. YOu are awesome, keep it up!

believe it or not...it's just me said...

CONGRATS!!! I am soooo happy for you, hang in there! I know this is so hard for you, but I am proud of you and rooting for you! HANG IN THERE! Just think... you are already 2 days down!! WOW those have to be the hardest right?!
love ya!
kelly

Lizzy said...

After the first week - the chemical need leaves the body...then it becomes the mind over matter thing...breaking the HABIT! Remember you have all the support you can ask for in all of us! We are cheering you on because we want to keep you happy, and healthy and with us a good many years yet! Love and hugs always

Alli said...

I'm proud of you. I feel the same way about chocolate. I wish I could use a patch for that nasty stuff!

Betsy said...

You Go, Girl!!!
The worst part is over, don't go back to "that place" now!!! It's done. Over. Past. Behind you. Look ahead: a new, happier, healthier, wealthier you!!! You can do it!!!
Hugs and kisses!

ragray said...

Great! Keep it up! We need you to be healthy so you can take of us
when we aren't! Your going to be so svelt and healthy you won't know
what to do with yourself:))

Anonymous said...

Way to go. Been there done that! It does get easier I promise. Love ya.
Ang

Anonymous said...

Shel,
I am SOOO proud of you! I know that you can do this. It does get easier, I promise. Hang it there and DON'T CHEAT. Miss you lots.
Dana

Anonymous said...

shel,
i was blown away by all the support you have. it literally brought tears to my eyes. i hope it will help, even just a little. we all want you around and healthy for a looooong time. you're the best. love you lots.
syl